This article, originally published in 2014, looks at the AEC technologies implemented at Nikken Sekkei, a 2,400 person firm providing architecture, engineering, planning, and construction management services around the globe.
This article explores Frameworks, an integration solution specifically developed for construction firms to integrate their project management, ERP, and CRM applications, along with its implementation by one of its users, Adolfson & Peterson Construction.
The use of AI (artificial intelligence) in AEC applications is starting to see some traction. This article provides an overview of the technology underlying AI so we have a better understanding of it and then compiles what we have so far in terms of the use of AI in AEC.
A key acquisition that Bentley recently acquired was LEGION for pedestrian simulation. Given that human behavior is far from predictable, how does this actually work? This article explores the technology in more detail.
August 30, 2018
February 28, 2018
December 14, 2017
September 14, 2017
May 25, 2017
February 9, 2017
January 26, 2017
September 22, 2016
May 5, 2016
April 13, 2016
March 16, 2016
January 15, 2016
December 15, 2015
October 22, 2015
July 30, 2015
June 17, 2015
April 20, 2015
March 18, 2015
January 29, 2015
Features from the AECbytes Archives
- Extending BIM to Infrastructure
- Now that BIM has conquered the building industry and is here to stay, this article explores the application of the same "information modeling" concept to infrastructure.
- The "Internet of Things" in AEC
- While the "Internet of Things" can be used to make buildings with smarter controls and sensors once they are built, and inhabited, can it also be applied in the design and construction phases?
- Measuring BIM's Disruption: Understanding Value Networks of BIM/VDC In this article, John Tobin, Director of Architecture at EYP, shares his insights on how the two contrasting types of innovation, "sustaining" and "disruptive" — as popularized in the book, The Innovator's Dilemma — can be applied to the AEC technology industry.
- Bentley ProjectWise and Autodesk Vault Collaboration AEC: AECbytes Survey Results
- This article captures the results of a recent survey conducted by AECbytes comparing Bentley's ProjectWise with Autodesk's Vault Collaboration AEC for data management and collaboration in AEC.
- Sutter Medical Center Castro Valley: Case Study of an IPD Project
- While IPD is still more of a goal than a reality for most of the AEC industry, there are a few ground-breaking projects that are already using this new collaboration and delivery method. This case study explores one such project.