In this article, Michael Tobias, founder and principal of New York Engineers, lists the many benefits of BIM for MEP engineers in addition to the primary advantages of saving time and money, reducing errors, improving productivity and quality, and being able to work as a key part of a multi-disciplinary team.
In this article, Daniel Bévort, CEO of ADEACA, describes how Project Business Automation (PBA) can be used to integrate the fragmented array of business applications used by construction companies, giving them better insight and allowing them to manage their business in real time, instead of through guesswork and outdated data.
Graham Twigg, CTO of Multivista, emphasizes the importance of integrating visual as-built data directly into the BIM models created by the design team for real-time validation and a more accurate representation of the building through each phase of construction.
Andy Knauf, CIO of Mead & Hunt, describes how the use of a cloud-native VDI solution helped his firm meet its aggressive growth target, allowing its architects, engineers, and designers to collaborate at cloud scale and speed, in real time, and from anywhere.
Erik Pijnenburg, CEO, KUBUS BV June 5, 2018
N. Nawari, Ph.D., Assistant Dean, School of Architecture, University of Florida May 9, 2018
Iain Miskimmin, Digital Built Britain (BIM) advisor and consultant January 18, 2018
Jim Forester, P.E., AEC Technologist January 11, 2018
John Hallgarth, Founder and CTO, 3D Constructor June 29, 2017
Stefano Della Torre, Politecnico di Milano December 15, 2016
Chris France, President, Advance2000 November 14, 2016
Dennis Williams, Technology Author and Consultant July 21, 2016
Tucker Cedarleaf, Managing Partner, Cedar+Mac June 16, 2016
Andy Knauf, Vice President of IT, Mead & Hunt May 23, 2016
William Speakman, BIM Analyst, Caveo Consulting Engineers February 11, 2016
Allen Preger, VP of Global Accounts, Newforma July 15, 2015
James Vandezande, Director of Design Technology, HOK June 4, 2015
Lachmi Khemlani, Founder and Editor, AECbytes April 16, 2015
Semiha Ergan, Assistant Professor, New York University, Polytechnic School of Engineering March 12, 2015
Viewpoints from the AECbytes Archives
- Got Macros? Scripting and Coding for BIM
- In this article, Karen Kensek, Assistant Professor in USC's School of Architecture, advocates the writing and use of macros in AEC firms to improve the efficiency of BIM, which "out of the box" is not synchronized with the way firms work.
- Notes on the Synthesis of BIM
- In this article, architect and educator Randy Deutsch assesses the design and construction industry's current efforts to produce and analyze vast amounts of information and proposes a call for a synthesis of its technology and collaborative work processes.
- The Ins and Outs of Digital Signing in AEC
- This article by Julie Olenski of GlobalSign summarizes the many benefits of going paperless, explains the technology behind digital signatures that makes them so secure, clarifies the difference between certifying and approval digital signatures as used in AEC, and presents two case studies of organizations that have switched to digital signatures.
- Labor Productivity Declines in the Construction Industry: Causes and Remedies
- In this article, Dr. Paul Teicholz, Professor (Research) Emeritus, of the Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University explores the gradual decline of field productivity in the construction industry and its main causes.
- Labor-Productivity Declines in the Construction Industry: Causes and Remedies (Another Look)
- In this article, Dr. Paul Teicholz takes another look to see what, if any, changes in labor productivity can be detected from the national statistics about the industry.