Iain Miskimmin draws from his extensive experience leading the Crossrail Bentley Information Management Academy and the BIM Advancement Academy program to cull through the complexities of BIM and provide a concise methodology for delivering digital assets of infrastructure projects.
In this article, Jim Forester, a long-time AEC technology veteran and enthusiast, attempts to shed some light on the underlying concepts of Bitcoin technology, Blockchain, and how it is immediately applicable to many aspects of AEC projects as well as the BIM technologies used to realize them.
John Hallgarth, Founder and CTO of 3D Constructor, explores some practical ways for general contractors to approach BIM, some outside-the-box ideas, and some key opportunities not to be overlooked by commercial builders.
Stefano Della Torre, a specialist in the field of restoration from Italty, shares his insights on the application of traditional BIM tools, which are primarily geared for new construction, to the historic preservation of our built cultural heritage.
Chris France, President, Advance2000 November 14, 2016
Dennis Williams, Technology Author and Consultant July 21, 2016
Tucker Cedarleaf, Managing Partner, Cedar+Mac June 16, 2016
Andy Knauf, Vice President of IT, Mead & Hunt May 23, 2016
William Speakman, BIM Analyst, Caveo Consulting Engineers February 11, 2016
Allen Preger, VP of Global Accounts, Newforma July 15, 2015
James Vandezande, Director of Design Technology, HOK June 4, 2015
Lachmi Khemlani, Founder and Editor, AECbytes April 16, 2015
Semiha Ergan, Assistant Professor, New York University, Polytechnic School of Engineering March 12, 2015
Viewpoints from the AECbytes Archives
- Got Macros? Scripting and Coding for BIM
- In this article, Karen Kensek, Assistant Professor in USC's School of Architecture, advocates the writing and use of macros in AEC firms to improve the efficiency of BIM, which "out of the box" is not synchronized with the way firms work.
- Notes on the Synthesis of BIM
- In this article, architect and educator Randy Deutsch assesses the design and construction industry's current efforts to produce and analyze vast amounts of information and proposes a call for a synthesis of its technology and collaborative work processes.
- The Ins and Outs of Digital Signing in AEC
- This article by Julie Olenski of GlobalSign summarizes the many benefits of going paperless, explains the technology behind digital signatures that makes them so secure, clarifies the difference between certifying and approval digital signatures as used in AEC, and presents two case studies of organizations that have switched to digital signatures.
- Labor Productivity Declines in the Construction Industry: Causes and Remedies
- In this article, Dr. Paul Teicholz, Professor (Research) Emeritus, of the Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University explores the gradual decline of field productivity in the construction industry and its main causes.
- Labor-Productivity Declines in the Construction Industry: Causes and Remedies (Another Look)
- In this article, Dr. Paul Teicholz takes another look to see what, if any, changes in labor productivity can be detected from the national statistics about the industry.